Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|Massachusetts governor says there’s nothing she can do to prevent 2 hospitals from closing -Wealth Empowerment Academy
Burley Garcia|Massachusetts governor says there’s nothing she can do to prevent 2 hospitals from closing
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 12:36:16
BOSTON (AP) — Massachusetts has agreed to provide about $30 million to help support the operations of six hospitals that Steward Health Care is Burley Garciatrying to turn over to new owners after declaring bankruptcy earlier this year, according to court filings.
The latest update comes as Steward announced Friday that it was closing two hospitals — Carney Hospital and Nashoba Valley Medical Center — because it received no qualified bids for either facility.
In a court filing late Friday, Steward announced it had received a commitment from Massachusetts “to provide approximately $30 million of funding support for the hospitals’ operations as they are transitioned to new operators in the near-term.”
The Dallas-based company also said in the court filing that the company remains steadfast in their goal of doing everything within their power to keep their 31 hospitals open.
In May, Steward said it planned to sell off all its hospitals after announcing that it had filed for bankruptcy protection. The company’s hospitals are scattered across eight states.
The $30 million is meant to ensure that Steward’s hospitals in Massachusetts can continue to operate through the end of August, according to Gov. Maura Healey’s administration. The funding will help make sure patients can continue to access care and workers can keep their jobs until Carney and Nashoba Valley close and the remaining five hospitals are transitioned to new owners.
Carney Hospital is located in the Dorchester neighborhood of Boston and Nashoba Valley Medical Center is in Ayer, a town about 45 miles (72 kilometers) west of Boston.
The payments are advances on Medicaid funds that the state owes Steward and are being provided contingent upon an orderly movement toward new ownership. The $30 million is also contingent on Steward hitting milestones and cannot be used for rental payments, debt service or management fees.
Healey said “not a dime” of the $30 million will go to Steward but will instead help ensure a smooth transition to new ownership.
Asked if there is anything the state can do to keep Carney Hospital and Nashoba Valley Medical Center open — including state receivership — Healey turned the focus back on Steward and embattled CEO Ralph de la Torre.
“It’s Steward’s decision to close these hospitals, there’s nothing that the state can do, that I can do, that I have to power to do, to keep that from happening,” Healey told reporters. “But I’ve also said from the beginning that we are focused on health care.”
She said that focus includes saving the six Steward hospitals which have bidders.
“We are in this situation, and it’s outrageous that we are in this situation, all because of the greed of one individual, Ralph de la Torre, and the management team at Steward,” Healey said. “I know Steward is not trustworthy and that’s why I’ve said from the beginning I want Steward out of Massachusetts yesterday.”
On Thursday, a Senate committee voted to authorize an investigation into Steward’s bankruptcy and to subpoena de la Torre.
The subpoena would compel de la Torre to testify before the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee at a hearing on Sept. 12.
A group of Democratic members of Congress, led by Massachusetts Sen. Edward Markey, has also sought reassurances that workers at hospitals owned by Steward will have their health care and retirement benefits protected.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Air Force disciplines 15 as IG finds that security failures led to massive classified documents leak
- Arizona, Kansas, Purdue lead AP Top 25 poll; Oklahoma, Clemson make big jumps; Northwestern debuts
- Tyreek Hill exits Dolphins’ game vs. Titans with an ankle injury
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- After losing Houston mayor’s race, US Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee to seek reelection to Congress
- A countdown to climate action
- Two Nashville churches, wrecked by tornados years apart, lean on each other in storms’ wake
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Delaware Supreme Court says out-of-state convictions don’t bar expungement of in-state offenses
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Russia says it will hold presidential balloting in occupied regions of Ukraine next year
- The best time to see the Geminid meteor shower is this week. Here's how to view.
- Ranking the best college football hires this offseason from best to worst
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Teacher, CAIR cite discrimination from Maryland schools for pro-Palestinian phrase
- 52-foot-long dead fin whale washes up on San Diego beach; cause of death unclear
- Georgia high school football player found dead day before state championship game
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Third Mississippi man is buried in a pauper’s grave without family’s knowledge
Former Fox host Tucker Carlson is launching his own streaming network with interviews and commentary
Florida’s university system under assault during DeSantis tenure, report by professors’ group says
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
The best time to see the Geminid meteor shower is this week. Here's how to view.
32 things we learned in NFL Week 14: Cowboys' NFC shake-up caps wild weekend
NFL Week 14 winners, losers: Chiefs embarrass themselves with meltdown on offsides penalty